Pulled Pork Soup
Created By: Pitmaster Sterling Big Poppa Ball
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 45 minutes stand time
- Cook Time: 5 to 6 hours
- Serves: 24
- 1 Smithfield® Boneless Pork Shoulder Roast
- 1 lb. Smithfield® Hickory Smoked Bacon, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2/3 cup BBQ seasoning blend
- 1 handful hickory or apple wood chips for smoking, soaked in water and drained (optional)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper
- 12 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons black pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) can light beer
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 (14- to 16-oz.) cans baked beans
- Sour cream, to taste
- For Pulled Pork, about 45 minutes before smoking, generously coat all sides of pork shoulder with about 1/3 cup BBQ seasoning. Set aside at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Heat charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking at 250°F. Add drained wood chips, if using.
- Place roast over a drip pan and smoke until internal temperature reaches 170°F. Remove and sprinkle with a light dusting of remaining BBQ seasoning; wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 199°F. to 202°F.; remove and let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Use tongs, 2 forks or hands to pull pork.
- Cook bacon in large stock pot over medium-high heat until almost crisp. Add all vegetables, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Add pulled pork and beer. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until beer has reduced by half. Stir in chicken stock and crushed tomatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add baked beans and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with sour cream.