Cajun Pork Grillades Over Grits
Created By: Pitmaster Darren Warth
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 3
- 2 lbs. Smithfield® Boneless Pork Loin, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 5 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 cup quick grits
- Pound pork loin slices between plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness. After tenderizing cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Combine flour and creole seasoning in a shallow bowl; mix well. Dredge pork loin pieces in flour mixture until lightly coated. Reserve leftover flour seasoning mix.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in skillet over medium. Place pork in skillet, in batches; brown on both sides, careful not to overload skillet. Transfer browned pork loin to plate. Repeat until complete.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet. Sauté garlic, onion, bell pepper and celery until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes; sauté 5 minutes, scraping any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Remove sautéed vegetables from skillet and place in bowl.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. When fully melted, slowly add in 1/4 cup of reserved flour seasoning mix. Stir continuously for 4 to 5 minutes until mixture is dark brown. Add vinegar and 3 cups chicken stock; stir continuously until mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Add sautéed vegetables and browned pork to thickened chicken stock in skillet. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally. Add more creole seasoning to taste.
- Bring remaining 2 cups chicken stock to a boil in medium saucepan. Slowly add quick grits, stirring until well mixed. Return grits to a boil; reduce heat and cook 4 to 5 minutes until done. Serve Cajun Pork Grillades over Grits.