Big Poppa's Tabasco Back Ribs
Created By: Pitmaster Sterling Big Poppa Ball
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Serves: 2 to 4
- 2 racks of Smithfield Extra Tender Pork Back Ribs, membrane removed
- 1 ½ cups Big Poppa Smokers’ Sweet Money Rub
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 cup apple juice in a spray bottle
- 3 tsp. Of TABASCO® Sauce (as glue/to taste)
- For Sauce/Glaze:
- 1 (18oz.) bottle of Granny’s BBQ Sauce
- 1 (10oz.) jar of TABASCO® Pepper Jelly
- Combine Squeal Rub and 1/2 cup brown sugar; season both sides of ribs with the rub. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to let the rub melt onto the ribs.
- Heat grill or smoker for indirect cooking at 250°F. Add drained wood chips, if using. Place ribs, meaty side up, over a drip pan and cook for 3 hours, spraying with apple juice ever 1 ½ hours. Add wood chunks or charcoal to fire as needed to maintain 250°F. to 275°F.
- Combine BBQ sauce and hot sauce in medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until warm.
- Remove ribs from grill/smoker; brush lightly with heated sauce on both sides. Drizzle both sides of ribs with honey and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar.
- Wrap each rack tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil. Return wrapped ribs to the grill/smoker and cook for 1 1/2 hours more over indirect heat.
- Remove ribs from foil and place back on the grill/smoker for 20 minutes. Brush with sauce during last 10 minutes. Let ribs stand 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
- 1. Heat grill or smoker for indirect cooking at 250ºF. Add wood chunks or charcoal to fire as needed to maintain temperature.
- 2. On cutting board, put ribs meat side up, use 1-2 tsp of TABASCO® as "glue" for the rub to stick to, just enough to thinly coat the meat. Note: Only use TABASCO® on the meat side, not the bone side.
- 3. Put down a thin layer of coconut sugar, pressing it into the ribs to make sure it sticks.
- 4. Liberally coat ribs with Sweet Money rub, press into the ribs to make sure it sticks.
- 5. Flip and repeat coconut/rub combo on bone side.
- 6. Flip back to meat side up, and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to let the rub "melt" onto the ribs.
- 7. Place ribs, meat side up, over a drip pan in smoker/grill at 250ºF - Spritz with apple juice every 30 minutes for the next 3.5 hours.
- 8. Begin preparing your sauce/glaze (recipe + directions below).
- 9. After cooking for 3.5 hours, baste with sauce. Continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- 10. Remove from smoker when ribs "bend" easily, or if probe/thermometer slides in with little/no resistance.
- 11. Let ribs stand for 10 minutes before glazing with more sauce/slicing to serve.
- 1. For Sauce/Glaze Recipe, combine TABASCO® Pepper Jelly and Granny’s Sauce in medium saucepan.
- 2. Whisk over low heat, warming to blend ingredients.
- 3. Once consistency/texture is smooth, remove from heat and set aside.