A sharp knife is one of the most important tools in the kitchen. A dull blade will not cut efficiently, and can actually shred food instead of cutting it cleanly.
Sharpening a Wusthof knife is relatively easy with the right equipment. The best way to sharpen your knives at home is by using an electric sharpener or whetstone.
A Wusthof knife sharpener is a great option for putting a fine edge on your blades.
What is a Wusthof Knife?
- A Wusthof knife is a type of kitchen knife that is manufactured in Solingen, Germany.
- It is a high-quality knife that is made with precision and care.
- Wusthof knives are available in a variety of shapes and sizes and are perfect for any type of kitchen task.
- Wusthof chef knives are some of the most popular knives on the market.
How To Use Wusthof Knife Sharpener (Manual)?
Here is how you use a Wusthof handheld knife sharpener:
Step 1: Let The Knife Sit At The Angle You Want
- The first step in how to use a Wusthof knife sharpener is to let the blade of your knife rest on an angle.
- Many people make the mistake of using a flat surface, which can damage or even ruin your blade. Set your sharpener on a counter, and then tip the blade of your knife into it.
Step 2: Slide The Knife Through The Sharpener
- Slide your knife from ricasso to tip, going away from you.
- Repeat this motion until the entire edge of your knife is sharpened.
- For a finer edge, repeat several times.
- Make sure to sharpen both sides of the blade evenly.
Step 3: Remove The Blade From The Sharpener
- Once you have sharpened your blade, remove it from the sharpener and hold it away from your body.
- Wusthof advises you to hold the knife with the sharpened side facing down so that any filings fall off the blade.
Step 4: Clean the Knife
- After you have sharpened your knife, it is important to clean it properly.
- Do not rinse off the sharpener with water; this can cause damage. Instead, use a dry cloth to wipe away any residue.
- Wipe the blade of the knife with a separate cloth, making sure to remove all of the filings.
How to Use Wusthof Electric Knife Sharpener?
Wusthof electric knife sharpener has a 3-stage sharpening system.
- The first stage is the coarsest and it is used to sharpen the blade.
- The second stage is the medium grit and it is used to clean the blade.
- The third stage is the finest grit and it is used to polish the blade.
Follow these steps –
- First, turn the power button on.
- Next, place the knife blade into the slot. If your knife is fairly big, hold it with one hand and then use the other hand to position the blade at a 20-degree angle.
- Then turn on the power button and glide the blade up and down in the 1st grit about 5/6 times. Use light pressure while doing this.
- The next stage is to clean it up in the 2nd grit. Pull it up and down in the 2nd grit about 3/4 times. Again, use light pressure.
- The last stage is to polish it in the 3rd grit. Glide the blade up and down in the 3rd grit only 1 or 2 times.
- Be careful not to press too hard, or you may damage your knife.
- When you are done, turn off the power button.
- Your Wusthof electric knife sharpener is now ready to use.
How to Use a 2-Stage Wusthof Knife Sharpener?
The two-stage Wusthof knife sharpener is one that has a slot for coarse sharpening and a slot for fine sharpening. The idea is that you use the coarse slot to get your blade back into shape, and when you use the fine slot to polish it to a razor edge.
- First, find a well-lit area and place the sharpener on a flat, steady surface.
- Hold the knife blade at a 20-degree angle against the coarse slot and draw it away from you and toward the tip of the blade.
- Repeat this motion three or four times to sharpen one side of your blade then switch sides and do the same thing until you have achieved the sharpness you desire.
- For the second sharpening stage, hold the knife blade in the same manner but this time slide it through the fine slot.
- Again, repeat the motion three or four times to get a nice, sharp edge on your blade.
How to Clean Wusthof Knife Sharpener?
Wusthof Sharpening steel is one of the most important tools for keeping all your knives in top shape. To keep your blades as sharp as possible and get the longest life from them, it is important to keep the knife sharpener clean.
- The best way to clean the Wusthof Knife Sharpener is to use a damp cloth and then dry it off with a dry cloth.
- Be sure not to get the sharpener wet, as this could damage it. If you do happen to get the sharpener wet, be sure to let it dry completely before using it again.
- You can wash it with warm water and a sponge to get it really clean, but be sure to rinse thoroughly and dry it before using it again.
Is Dishwasher Detergent Good For Knife Sharpener?
The short answer is no. Dishwasher detergent can be harsh on the surfaces of your knife sharpener and could cause the surface to become cloudy or even corroded.
To keep this from happening, do not run the knife sharpener through a dishwasher. Be sure to wash it by hand at least once a week and then dry it thoroughly before using it again.
To keep your knives in top shape, it’s important to know how to clean and sharpen them. The Wusthof knife sharpener is one of the most popular models on the market today because it offers different sharpener systems that will help you get the perfect edge every time.
With this powerful tool at your disposal, you’ll never have to worry about using dull knives again!