Root Beer Extra Tender Back Ribs
Created By: Pitmaster Sterling Big Poppa Ball
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 1/2 hours
- Serves: 3 to 6
- 2 to 3 racks Smithfield® Extra Tender Pork Back Ribs, membrane removed
- Sweet Money BBQ Rub or your favorite BBQ seasoning
- 3 cups root beer (not diet)
- 1 (18-oz.) bottle BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Heat grill or smoker for indirect cooking at 250°F. Season both sides of ribs with BBQ rub. Let ribs stand (sweat) for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Smoke ribs, meaty side up, for 3 to 3 ½ hours. Ribs are done when toothpick goes through the ribs like butter or they bend but don’t break.
- Meanwhile, cook root beer over medium-high heat until thickened and reduced to 2/3 cup. Remove from heat; stir in your favorite BBQ sauce, brown sugar, sriracha sauce, vinegar and pinch of kosher salt. Mix well and let stand.
- When ribs are done, brush with sauce and continue cooking few minutes to set sauce. Brush with additional sauce before serving.